What is a Patron of Reading?
A Patron of Reading is a school's special children's author, poet, storyteller or illustrator. The school and their patron develop a relationship over a period of time. Everything the patron does is related to helping encourage and develop a reading for pleasure culture in the school: book quizzes, blogs, book recommendations, discussions, plays, poetry bashes, blogs, book trailers and visits. The possibilities are virtually endless. The tenure can last from 1 - 3 years. First mooted by head teacher Tim Redgrave, the idea has now spread to almost 200 schools across the British Isles.
What Does a Patron of Reading do?
The primary goal of the patron is to promote reading for pleasure, to encourage, inspire and develop a love of books, words and stories.
Each Patron of Reading and school will have its own unique arrangement but below are some examples of the things a Patron of Reading might do.
- Visit the school over the course of the academic year.
- These visits could include read aloud sessions, storytelling sessions or other activities.
- Send a newsletter once per term.
- Donate copies of her books to the school library.
- Work with specific groups to encourage reading.
- Champion Reading challenges and present awards/certificates for such activities.
- Tweet, blog and Facebook about the visits to the schools.
- Recommend books for specific topics/themes.
- Ask children and staff for their book recommendations.
- Encourage reading for pleasure across the school.
Although I am based in Liverpool and work extensively across the North West, I would be happy to be a patron for schools outside this area.
Costs - As stated on the Patron of Reading website
What is the financial cost to the school?
"We recommend costs should be met for a patron’s visits in the same way as for any author visit. These include the author’s fee for the day, travel costs and overnight accommodation (including an evening meal, if necessary). Discussion about fees should take place before the author commits to the school and vice-versa, to avoid any misunderstanding." This is information is taken directly from the Patron of Reading website.
My daily rate £350 or all three visits across the year £1000
My daily rate £350 or six visits across the year £2000
These prices do not include travel expenses or accommodation if needed.